60 amp contactor [RE-wrenches]

Ron Schroeder wd8cdh at optonline.net
Fri Sep 21 05:17:31 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Drake,

For transfer switches, I often use 2 breakers next to each other with a
handle tie interlock.  I have used them with Square D up to 70 amps and
Murray/Seimans/ITE up to 100 amps.  I think GE has a handle tie interlock
for two breakers across from each other.

I like this method for manual transfer because it can be in the same panel
as the breakers for all of the backed up loads.

I have even done a few systems with the old style Murray 100A panels that
had the main breaker lined up with the right hand row of breakers instead of
centered where the 100A main breaker was interlocked with a 60 amp generator
just below it for a complete AC protection and transfer system in one box.

Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
NABCEP Certified PV Installer