Selecting an inverter/battery system [RE-wrenches]

Glenn Burt gburt at ieee.org
Tue Sep 18 08:35:24 PDT 2007

I'd be careful with regular greases & Vaseline on a gasket unless I knew
it was not affected by their petroleum base. I have seen gaskets turned
to jelly this way.

If I recall, Outback provides a small package of silicone grease with
their products for weatherproofing - this is probably more along the
lines of what you would want to use, but you should probably check with
them first...

Good Luck!

Doug Pratt wrote:

> I've been into Outback inverters several times to replace boards. (I did
> beta testing for the grid tie software which involved a number of
> upgrades,
> each one with a new board.) They want the inverter sitting on the bench
> so
> the o-ring seal between case halves will lie nicely in it's groove. To
> my
> mind a bit of Vaseline or other heavy grease would hold it just fine.
> But
> with Christopher looking over my shoulder I didn't feel it was my place
> get creative. If I did one today I'd be pretty tempted to leave it
> bolted to
> the wall.
>
> Cheers,
> Doug Pratt