Compact Fluorescent Lamps [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 12:24:30 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

I'm still searching for a CFL replacement with >80 CRI for 50/100/150-watt
3-way bulbs.

July 2007 issue of Electrical Wholesaling (available free to the trade at
http://ewweb.com/ ) has an article about the switch to CFLs and a sidebar
about the proposed federal "Bright Tomorrow Light Prizes" of $10 million to
whoever can replace the 60W incandescent with a light source that:
produces <1200 lumens
>150 lumens/W
>90 CRI (color rendering index)
2,800 to 3,000K temperature
>25,000 hours life.

Article tip: Take a long-tube 3,000K tri-phosphor fluorescent, and put a
filter called "warm straw" on it to match incandescent color.

Lastly, the article says replacing incandescents in the US will eliminate
the need for 80 coal-fired plants, but I prefer telling people that if each
household replaced 4 incandescents with CFLs, 10 nuclear power plants could
be shut down.

Joel Davidson