Arco M51quad lams [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Wed Jul 25 06:29:24 PDT 2007

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services wrote:

> "Any of you old timers out there know the specs on Arco M51 quadlams?"

Mick says: There were several versions of the quadlams depending on how
badly they had browned. Carrizo Golds were among the least baked and I
think they were rated 110 watts for the set of four; these had metal
frame retrofits. When four laminates were connected in series one would
have 48 cells in series but normal PV math doesn't apply because of the
browning. I don't know how the 110 watts would parse out.

Mick says: The next step down was Carrizo Bronze which were also metal
framed and I think 95 watts for the set of four. Worst of all were the
"Muds", which were rated 87 watts for four. Carrizo never bothered to
add metal frames to the Muds, but Zomeworks sold plastic channels to
give some edge protection.

If looking today, one may not readily be able to tell the difference
between Golds and Bronzes. I think there were some stickers for the back
surface but these are probably long gone now.

The power ratings seemed usually to the low side. I think Carrizo found
it simpler to keep the power promise low than to go for precision
testing of all the laminates.

Mick Abraham
Pagosa Springs, CO
www.abrahamsolar.com