Inverter location [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Wed Jul 11 14:25:51 PDT 2007

Marco,

You are correct. Inverter terminals are always higher voltage than the
service entrance voltage when there is current flowing out of the inverter.
The voltage drop is dropping from the inverter to the service entrance.

Example:

Service entrance voltage: 255Vac

Inverter to service entrance voltage drop: 3% at full power

Inverter terminal voltage: 262.6 Vac

Inverter trip voltage: 260 Vac (not the published value, but the actual
value that the inverter trips at to meet the 264 Vac standard)

In this example, the inverter has tripped offline and will continue to trip
offline until the power from the inverter decrease to 66% of full power
creating only 2% voltage drop rather the 3% at full power.

Bill.

Bill Brooks, PE
Brooks Engineering
873 Kells Circle
Vacaville, CA 95688
office and mobile phone: 707-332-0761
fax:707-451-7739
email: billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
web: www.brooksolar.com

Ecclesiastes 11:7 Light is sweet, and it pleases the eyes to see the sun.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael_welch at sbcglobal.net