Day4 modules [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler p.undercuffler at conergy.us
Mon Jul 9 08:42:58 PDT 2007

Allan,

While I can't foresee the future to let you know which module
manufacturers will be around in another decade, I can tell you that the
Day4 crew seems to have put the right stuff together.

As far as the MPP voltage of a 48 cell module, we've seen that cell
arrangement fill a "hole" in the available module range for battery
based applications using MPPT charge controllers.

Remember when Outback stated that the MX60 is most efficient if the
array voltage is higher than battery voltage?  Can't get there (legally)
with three 24v nominal modules if the temperature gets down below
freezing.  However, a string of four Day4 modules in series stays below
150v even at the maximum NEC derate, and has a MPP above 92 volts at
STC. Sweet.

If using a Blue Sky or Apollo controller, three 48 cell modules = 144
cells in series, which is exactly a 48v nominal array.

Of course, if using high voltage string inverters then just follow the
manufacturer's string sizing tool.

Please note new phone extension!

Phil Undercuffler
Technical Services Manager