Flash Test Data [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 17 17:28:04 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Don,

Minimum ratings with no plus/minus are a good idea.

Warranty ratings are a whole other story. Arco Solar's marketing department
celebrated the company's 10th anniversary by announcing the first 10-year
warranty. Kyocera had to go one better with its 12-year warranty and the
warranty race was on. By the time Arco Solar turned 25 years old on March 1,
1997, its new owner, Siemens Solar, proudly announced a 25-year warranty
80%, 10-year 90% warranty. Resellers bought into the warranty marketing game
hook-line-and-sinker. There are still people who believe that a piece of
paper with 25-year warranty printed on it is better than a piece of paper
with 20-year warranty written on it even though Siemens Solar is gone as is
its successor, Shell Solar. As Oat Willie use to say "Onward through the
fog" SolarWorld.

Another aspect of module longevity is degradation. People kicked dirt on
amorphous silicon modules for years. Some still do even though we understand
what's going on much better. See
http://www.nrel.gov/pv/thin_film/docs/a_si_degradation_vonroedern_mrs2000.pdf

NREL has been measuring Uni-Solar's triple junction a-Si since it first hit
the market in 1997 and degradation is holding steady at less than 1% per
year which indicates that their 20-year 80% power warranty still has value.
Now if only someone could fulfill Stan Ovshinsky's dream of 35-50 cents a
watt. Heck, I'd even accept $1/watt. See
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1981iece....3.2217D

Which brings us to the February 2006 "Accelerated Aging Testing in
Photovoltaics- Research Curiosity or Decision Making Tool?" workshop. See
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/solar_america/pdfs/pv_accelerated_aging_summary.pdf

Happy reading. Live long and prosper.

Joel Davidson