Reimbursement [RE-wrenches]

Nick Houser offgrid at prcn.org
Sat May 26 06:59:20 PDT 2007

Todd, William and all you good people:  I have been treated fairly by
Magnum Energy in this regard and by hardly anyone else. I was asked by a
distributor to RE & Re an inverter under waranty, which I did. They sent
a new inverter, and I sent my time and expenses. They DID invoice me for
the replacement (credited later when defective unit was returned, and
paid me promptly for my good work. The customer was happy (no cost ot
him) I was happy; this is the way it is SUPPOSED to
work.  Not too much to ask, I reckon.  Nick Houser,  Off Grid Services,
Powell River, British Columbia.

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services wrote:

> One of the things I value about the wrench list is that it is a place
> for us to share information like this. Word needs to be spread about
> manufacturers that do not appreciate the wrenches in the field when they
>
> do not "make good" beta testing products on their customers. RE wrenches
>
> are a special case, as many of of our jobs are far away and require long
>
> distance travel to service issues that arise. I feel it is totally
> appropriate to spread the word about these companies that foolishly put
> short term profits over long term corporate sustainability.
>
> If someone treated me like this company has treated you, I would not
> only never buy from them again, but also spread the word far and wide to
>
> cause them to be publicly embarrassed and hopefully lose enough business
>
> to rethink their short sighted, bean counting strategy.
>
> Sure every company has design failures that from time to time fall on
> our backs... but how they deal with that is the issue. The best field
> support I have ever received was from Array Technology. In the early
> days they had lots of problems with the tracker electronics, but they
> were working hard to resolve them (and did!) and made good on every
> issue I had.
>
> Todd
>

> William Miller wrote:
> >
> > Friends:
> >
> > I am wondering what success any of you have had getting reimbursed for
> > your
> > labor in troubleshooting, removing and replacing defective inverters and
> >

> > modules that are under factory warranty.  I'd like to take a poll to see
> >

> > what your successes and failures are and what your level of satisfaction
> >
> > is
> > with the mainstream inverter/PV manufacturers.  Also, what failure rate
> > are
> > you having with inverters and modules?
> >
> > The reason I am asking is because I have had a miserable time collecting
> >

> > from a major manufacturer.  I am not going to mention their name because

> > am strongly considering suing them.  If you want to avoid mentioning
> > names,
> > please feel free to contact me off-line.
> >
> > If the rest of you have been treated like I have been, no return to
> > phone
> > calls, etc., it is a rotten shame.  If we are all having similar
> > problems,
> > I'd like to brainstorm how we can bring pressure to bear on
> > manufacturers
> > to compensate fairly.
> >
> > I have refused to join any of the manufacturer's "Solar Clubs" because,
> > as
> > I see it, you are agreeing to substandard compensation.  For example, I
> > have been offered $100 per first trip and $25 per subsequent trips to
> > remove and replace brand new inverters (yes, that's plural, on one job)
> > that weigh 137 pounds each.  It's obvious I need a helper to lift those
> [...]

I may look idle, but on a celular level I'm really quite busy.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael_welch at sbcglobal.net