Solar module cell-count [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Thu May 17 16:46:59 PDT 2007

Joel,

A key to better system design is not directly cell count. Higher cell =
counts make it more difficult to maximize dc voltage into an inverter since
= each module step is so large. Lower cell counts necessitate larger cells
so = that wiring costs are reduced. For larger scale projects, it would be
nice to have 6" to 8" cells so that each string has the highest possible
current = and voltage therefore getting the most power per labor dollar.

Smaller rooftops necessitate smaller cells so that the designer can get =
more voltage per smaller area. Therefore, big systems need big cells and =
small residential systems need smaller cells.

Everyone seems to talk about module power and cell count, but they = rarely
discuss the issue of cell size and current. That's my story, and I'm
sticking to it.

Bill.

Bill Brooks, PE
Brooks Engineering