butler building roof details? [RE-wrenches]

Steve Fain sfain at unirac.com
Mon May 14 13:51:10 PDT 2007

Hi Wrenches,
	Please allow me to pipe up here with a few comments for Geoff and
Allan.

It's true that you can get some amazing holding strengths with Tek
screws---make sure you get ones that have a rated pull-out strength so you
have some hard numbers to show the plans checker at the building department.
Also, the bolt holes and slots in UniRac components are larger than the Tek
screw heads, so make sure you have the right combination of good, stout
fender washers so the screw heads don't pop thru.

Standoffs with flashings are best to use in applications like Geoff
described, if the flat pans between the standing seams are wide enough.
Roof jacks can be slipped over the standoffs and glued down over the metal
roofing with an appropriate adhesive, then painted to match the roof---looks
great and lasts a long time.  Next best would be to simply bolt the L-feet
directly to the roof surface (firmly attached to structural members, of
course).  Bitchothane (sp?) squares under the L-feet is a great idea, but
UniRac now has serrations in the L-feet that make the racking stronger, but
might allow water to leak in from the sides.  This makes it more important
than ever to use plenty of appropriate caulking all the way around the base
of the L-foot and over the screw/bolt/lag head.

Steve Fain
Customer Service/ Tech Support
UniRac, Inc.
1411 Broadway Blvd. NE