HUP vs IBE Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 21:15:57 PST 2007

<x-flowed>
${top_text_ad}
Hi Rob and All,

I just wanted to chime in to say that besides
being REALLY IMPRESSED with the recent HUP
SolarOne's we just installed -  that when a
problem arose  - probably due to shipping damage
-that Rob and Jean at NWES were SO very helpful
and right on top of it and made good on it.

They are now performing really nicely - have
super consistent cell voltages and specific
gravities and water use and seem to really have
the deep discharge they are advertised to have.
I am VERY HAPPY with them.

And you couldn't buy them from greater folk than
NWES (I am in no way affiliated).

And I checked prices and didn't see that price
rise you saw, Jeff O.  Perhaps some more shopping
around with distributors?  Check AEE's price.

I didn't find the cover to be a problem - close
but fine clearance there.  Do be careful that a
cable can't get pinched upon CLOSING the cover -
but other than that I think they are a superb
battery.

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design

>Hi Jeff, and thanks for being a big fan of Hup Solar-One batteries.  I
>am new to the list but have been checking in from time to time. Many
>thanks to the Wrenches list for allowing me to state my position.
>
>I am confused about your statement concerning "massive price increases".
>The 1690 A/H 12 volt Solar-One w/ Hup Technology has a suggested retail
>price of $2999.00.  8 years ago in 1999 that same battery sold for
>$2974.00. Since November of 2006 the price has increased $75.00 to it's
>current suggested retail price. I donít see a ìMassive Price Increaseî.
>I just checked a prominent distributor that handles both the IBE and the
>Solar-One. I found a dealer price difference of $194.00 or about 7%.
>Does the IBE include free shipping? What is the warranty?
>
>It is not my intention to degrade IBE, it is a fine product, I just want
>to know why you are being quoated a dealer price that is 10% over
>suggested retail for Hup Solar-One batteries?
>
>What am I missing here?
>

>Rob Shappell
>Northwest Energy Storage
>www.solaronebatteries.com
>

>Jeff Oldham wrote:
>>

>>  Another BIG fan of the HUP batteries, however at this moment I'm moving
>>  to IBE as HUP has recently had massive price increases that IBE did not
>>  seem to do. For a 1690 Ah pack the HUP is almost $1000 more. I'm not
>>  convinced the HUP's are that much better than the IBE's anymore. A year
>>  ago the price spread was very close.
>>  Anyone think the HUP is worth about 30% more than IBE?
>>  Personally, I prefer as few parallel strings as possible and will go to
>>  great efforts to move the heavy beasts once every 15- 20 years and keep
>>  'em as big as possible. My last HUP install was in Panama on a remote
>>  island, each 1690Ah pack is 1260 pounds and we moved 16 sets into a
>>  basement down stairs and around a corner and up over two 12" curbs. We
>>  had quite the set-up to do this from chain hoists to actual rail tracks
>>  and LOT's of men! Man it takes a lot of beer to move these things.
>>  Have fun and use your head not your back!!!!
>>  -jeff o
>>

>>  From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff
>>  Oldham/Regenerative SOLutions

>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
65 Schoolhouse Rd