telephone lightning arrestors [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Mon Feb 26 21:16:19 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

--On Monday, February 26, 2007 9:20 AM -0800 "Jay Peltz, Peltz Power" <jay at asis.com> wrote:

> (Customer has 2000' of above ground phone wire)

Is this a telco installed wire run?  If so, call them and tell them your troubles.  They should install/upgrade your building entrance protection.

> any recommendations for surge/lightning protection for a phone system?

The telephone companies have a _lot_ of experience in this area.  Start by installing properly grounded building entrance protection.  Building entrance terminals use an industry standard standard 5-pin protection module, available in several different protection technologies and with clamping thresholds ranging from 7.5V to 350V.   The smallest terminals I've seen are 6-pair units.  We use them for any and all low voltage wiring which enters or leaves a building -- often mixing protector types
in the same terminal for specific tasks.

These are available from numerous manufacturers, here are a few:

<http://www.itwlinx.com/> (they recently bought Panamax and have entered the consumer market but their industrial/OEM stuff is still the real deal.)

<http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/energysystems/osp-pam.asp> <http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/energysystems/pdf/plant-pam/OSPDS-110500.PDF>

<http://www.portasystems.com/Protection/cpeindex.htm>

<http://exchangemax.commscope.com/products/voice/5pin-plugin_protectors.asp>