telephone lightning arrestors [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Mon Feb 26 11:20:06 PST 2007

Hi Jay,

That sounds a lot like a ground problem.  Confirm the phone is grounded to
the same ground rod as the AC system (you're talking about off grid right?).
If the phone line has its own ground rod, especially if it's on the other
side of the house as the homes power system, lightning will just eat it up.
We get some really nasty lightning around here and that's a recurring theme
for phone problems.  After checking the ground you could suggest the
customer invest in the surge/power strips that have a phone jacks in them.

We took a nasty hit about a half a year ago.  It came in on the phone line
which was hooked to the fax machine/printer which was hooked to my wife's
laptop which was hooked to the network which was hooked to the satellite
modem and my laptop.  Everything but the fax machine took a dirt nap, some
things went down in flames plus my wife got a pretty good shock as she was
talking on the phone when the lightning hit.  Darn scary.  The phone
pedestal box that was about 1000' away took a direct strike and pretty much
left a crater where it was.  I'm stilling finding pieces of it.  Ironically,
the thunderstorm had been gone for a few hours and we had just plugged
everything back in when this one lighting strike happened.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services