triple junction vs single crystalline [RE-wrenches]

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Wed Feb 7 06:15:53 PST 2007

Keith Cronin wrote:

"I got the call from a client that wanted to utilize a roofing solar
integrated material and that they were told it is by far better than
single crystalline."

Mick says: The "triple-junction" product mentioned is obviously
Uni-Solar brand. (I have no involvement with or financial interest in
that company.) Re: Uni-Solar's claim of higher kWh delivery per
installed watt, see some of the white papers on their website:
http://www.uni-solar.com/interior.asp?id=49

Uni-Solar claims: (1) thin film loses less voltage with heat compared to
crystalline (2) unusual bypass diode configuration reduces the energy
penalty for partial shading (3) with no crystalline structure, the
amorphous material receives light better when the incident angle is bad.

As I review the above information, I ask myself: why has it been so long
since I sold much Uni-Solar product? Don't I want to offer the most
bounce per buck? I've never had any reported reliability problems from
my US-64 customers, so I see no fault in that area. Possible reasons why
I've been ho-hum about Uni-Solar in recent years:

(1) The Uni-Solar product surely is manufactured at a lower cost per
watt than a glass/crystal product, yet the purchase cost per watt is as
much or more. This bugs me...aren't all PV manufacturers supposed to
operate on marginal profits as they try to gain market share? If I can
buy glass/crystal for closer to the cost of production, that appeals to
the bargain hunter in us all.

(2) Glass/crystal has more eye appeal and sparkle when showing product
to a client, and the rigid glass modules don't twist in the hands. Just
as people tend to want the fastest computer processors, they seem to
prefer solar technology that packs higher rated wattage into every
square foot.

Keith: if you challenge the client to hold the Uni-Solar roofing
material in their hands then similarly handle the glass/crystal product
up close, that experience could swing the client back in favor of
glass/crystal. Be sure to report back if this should occur.
Glass/crystal seems to give a greater impression of permanence. Maybe
this is only psychological, but the way people think does matter.

(3) Assuming modules instead of roofing, the bigger size per watt of the
Uni's translates into more costly mounting racks, and a bigger impact on
the landscape. Uni-Solar also costs more per watt for shipping, but if
the PV's are part of the roof, these negatives are minimized.

(4) Uni-Solar supply got bad around Y2K, and if I had talked up thin
film to a client but couldn't get any US-64's there were no comparable
substitutes. If I talk up glass/crystal instead, many similar products
could fit right in. It's easier to shift gears if I stay inside the
glass/crystal box.

(5) Prospective buyers don't seem to ask me for the Uni-Solar brand as
they once did. The number of wholesale suppliers for Uni-Solar seems to
be fewer these daze, as well.

I hope this will be helpful information for Keith & others.

Mick Abraham
Abraham Solar Equipment
Pagosa Springs, CO
www.abrahamsolar.com