Bounds of Discretion [RE-wrenches]

Steve Johnson stevejohnson at comcast.net
Sun Feb 4 11:23:27 PST 2007

Mark,

I can't answer your question but I do have a couple of suggestions from
years of dealing with inspectors, not so much in the last few years
though.

A personal relationship is important.  If you are taking a permit out
downtown drop by their desk with a cheery smile, a brief howdy.  When
are they in the office?  Here they usually get back around 3:30 and are
out the door at 4:00.  Once I had a fairly large problem (for me) and I
showed up first thing in the AM.  could of made a phone call but decided
to show up and show him I cared.  "Can I talk to you when you have
aminute I asked him"?  sure, come on in he said.
does he have family, like to fish, football fan?  My problem? Not a
problem he says, we agreed on a reasonable work around.

I won't belabor the point but it is really easy for them to slam a
faceless person or someone who argues with them and questions their
competence.  (I'm not saying you did). The very fact that they are AHJ
can be a benefit as well as a hindrance.  Most inspectors if they see
good pipe work, attention to grounding, and get along with you - are
very reasonable.  Remember, here at least they are civil servants and
tend to be around for a LONG time.

Now that I've opened my mouth I hope I don't get red tagged next job!

Good luck to you,
Steve

Steve Johnson
LightWave Electric