Project management software? [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Thu Jan 25 18:44:58 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

--On Thursday, January 25, 2007 5:46 PM -0800 Doug Pratt <dmpratt at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I try to avoid the universal love of bitching, but Sage software really
> pushes my button. I've used quite a number of accounting/stocking/invoicing
> software packages over my years in the industry. Didn't love any of them,
> but got good on all of them eventually. Sage is absolutely the worst. Their
> Business Works program is awkward, slow, glitchy, has major service holes,
> and is just generally difficult.
>
> Sage bought the contact management software ACT last year. We upgraded from
> ACT 7 (which was fast and good) to ACT 9 a few months ago on the promise
> that ACT and Business Works would talk to each other. It's been a near
> disaster, very expensive (new servers and many, many hours of IT time), and
> it's still less than half the speed of ACT 7. Talk to each other? Yeah, name
> and address only, and that's an extra cost option. What crap!

I used to sell & support Business Works (back in the Manzanita SW days) and it was a truly superior product, nicely positioned between the low-end and the high-end markets.  One huge advantage at the time was that (unlike most of the market) it was written from scratch for the PC, rather than being a converted COBOL/minicomputer product (AccPac, Great Plains, MAS90, etc.)  QuickBooks was a joke at the time.  When Manzanita sold out to State of the Art I knew it would probably be bad, and it
seems that yet another rollup has not helped things.  I finally gave in and jumped to QuickBooks a  few years back, mostly because of the near-ubiquitous availability of trained users and the number of 3rd party addons.

.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php