Surface pressure pump question [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Thu Jan 25 18:30:47 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Allan;

We sold a couple of MQs earlier, but its been inconclusive, as there
were numerous plumbing problems too. The pump was staying on all the
time due to suction side problems. Too fine an inlet filter, an suction
leak, and no foot valve in the cistern caused the pump not to reach its
full 50 psi and shut off. The customer complained that according to the
Trimetric the new pump used triple the DC amps of the previous pump:
an120 vac Dankoff Flowlight.
She complained her system was being run down by the pump; I agreed that
if the plumbing was't fixed, it would drain her power system.
The plumber finally tracked down the suction side leak, changed out the
filter for much less restriction, and added foot valves in the tanks.
I was finally paid, but I may not have heard the end of this. All of
that trouble, but none of it was an actual malfunction of the MQ pump.
BTW the previous Flowlight burned up because " it ran all the time".....

Ray

Allan Sindelar wrote:

>Wrenches,
>With their soft-start motors, the Grundfos SQ/SQE/SQFlex line of submersible
>pumps have opened up a broader range of system design options for deep well
>water systems running on inverter power. The Grundfos MQ line is a surface
>pressurizing pump with a similar soft-start, constant-pressure approach.
>
>Who has installed one of these pumps, and how did it work? I am looking for
>a quiet alternative to the Shurflo 2088 routinely used with cistern
>rainwater in an earthship. I am specifically asking about a Grundfos MQ3-35,
>115VAC pump, rated 7.2 initial running amps, 12.5 start amps, 580 watts,
>4.5-5 gpm at max 45 psi. This is the smaller model of this line. I know the
>watts and amps don't jive, but the discrepancy isn't explained in the
>published specs, and I am looking for real-world numbers and opinions,
>please, or another recommendation.
>
>Thank you,
>Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -