PV Negative color [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Mon Dec 10 10:17:02 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Lets follow code to the letter while wiring a positive grounded
system. First positive is white, not striped but it could be just
white. Then code allows the ungrounded conductor ( the negative) to
be red, black, blue, etc.. So we could have a code compliant system
with negative marked red, and positive marked white.
Doesn't it seem like its time to fix the code again?
I agree with John, that we can't have homeowners thinking high
voltage DC is something they can be playing with, and code has more
restrictions for DC voltages over 50 vdc. Warnings of High voltage
work AC or DC.
What code doesn't have and needs desperately is to identify the
positive and negative conductor in a DC system. Code only addresses
identifying the grounded conductor. Code is treating DC systems like
AC, and we in the PV business know what a mistake that can be. The
polarity issues just are NOT the same for AC.

I wish someone from Outback, Xantrex, or Magnum would weigh in on
this and explain why they also color code DC the same as automotive.
A point I don't agree with John is that red and black are a
violation. First think of all the UL listed equipment from the afore
mentioned manufacturers.
Second,  code allows systems (with many restrictions) to not ground
one of the conductors. THus red and black are appropriate code
compliant colors in those systems.
RVs for instance can't truely ground the system, as the system is
suspended from the ground by rubber tires.

Red for positive, black for negative, white stripping (but not solid)
for which ever is grounded, should work for everyone.

Ray

On Dec 7, 2007, at 11:35 AM, John Berdner wrote:

> Wrenches:
>
> Over the years I have spent many hours discussing this issue with John
> Wiles.
> The Code requires grounded neutral conductors to be white.
> The Code makes no distinction between AC or DC on this issue.
> The Code also does not differentiate the white color requirement for
> solidly grounded neutrals or ones with GFDI devices installed.
>
> The red and black automotive "standard" is not applicable or
> appropriate for home sized.
> The last thing I would want is someone to think that a 480 Vdc PV
> system was 12 Vdc was 12 Vdc because of the wrong color wires.
> I also think choice of red and black would be a very difficult
> decision
> to defend in court since it is a clear violation of the NEC.
>
> Yes, during a ground fault the neutral can become hot at anything
> up to
> Voc relative to ground.
> This is the exact reason for UL labeling requirement on inverters and
> for my repeated cautions about troubleshooting a system with a ground
> fault.
> Even if both PV positive and PV negative are disconnected, everything
> on the array side of the GFDI device can still be at this potential.
> No matter how close you move the GFDI there will still be some wires
> that could be energized during a ground fault.
> Moving the GFDI closer to the array adds costs in both hardware and
> installation time.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> John Berdner

> At 08:22 PM 12/6/2007, you wrote:
>
>> I think that a solidly grounded conductor should be
>> white, or not, BUT when working with systems using a
>> ground fault breaker or fuse and is therefor a fused
>> grounded conductor, it should not be white. If a
>> ground current makes the wire hot, don't call it
>> grounded. If the only way it can become hot is when
>> it is broken then it can be called grounded.
>
> This sounds right. The negative wire can exist in junction
> boxes, and if it is white and operating at high voltage DC due to
> the normal operation of the ground fault device, it could pose a
> serious hazard to electricians troubleshooting other systems.
>
> The automotive and marine designations of black and red are
> problematic, due to the fact that black is often positive in NEC
> compliant wiring. Maybe yellow would be a good recommendation for
> negative. The not-always-grounded negative wire on a PV ground fault
> system is a unique, as far as I know.
>
> A far better ground fault system would be one that opened the
> conductors at the array, instead of at the end of the run, where a
> ground fault could continue indefinitely. Control wires could be run
> through the mandated metal conduit to the control center. A hot
> neutral would not be a likelihood.
>
> The 2008 code has new rule to limit the existence of hot, white wires
> by requiring all multi wire branch circuits to open all conductors
> [...]

R. Walters
Solarray.com
NABCEP # 04170442

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com