PV Negative color [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Thu Dec 6 16:25:39 PST 2007

Fellow Wrenches,

Ray's thought of striping the negative conductor is a good one & works well.
You can actually have any conductor striped. I used to do this in the early
days for all of my small conductors.... Buy my wire and have half of it
striped and re-spooled.  This used to cost 5 cents a foot but was invaluable
in terms of time saved pulling wire and terminating it.  Not to mention the
incalculable savings of not having reversed polarities, additional wire
marking, etc.

I had a seven-color code I used to identify source circuits.... Red = 1;
Orange = 2; Blue = 3; Pink = 4; Violet = 5; Black = 6. For these colors, the
solid color was ALWAYS positive and the striped wire was ALWAYS negative.
The 7th color was Yellow, which I used for series jumpers. I confess that I
cheated on Pink and Orange.... Had to use a black stripe because white
wasn't visible enough. Thank goodness that was back in the day when donuts
worked with building inspectors! ;-)

Most of our projects then were Asi (hi-voltage low-watt modules) so we had
LOTS of source circuits.  The "average" 2kWAC job back then cost about $20
extra for the striping. The time-savings alone made this a no-brainer,
especially since we were paying prevailing wages.  Something about
prevailing wages makes a lot of workers disengage the common-sense gear....
Having as close to a no-brainer method as you can get saves a lot of pain.
The downside is that you have to stock and transport a lot of different
spools of wire with the "many-colors" scheme.

Pray for Sun and a dry hammock!

Matt Lafferty
mlafferty at universalenergies.com