Outback BOS tips [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Nov 29 18:47:42 PST 2007

William Miller wrote:

> We just installed our first Flexware 500 system.  I did not see any
> problem with the by-pass slider.  I noted that a year or so ago the
> openings for the breaker handles were enlarged so both could be shut off
> at the same time.  I appreciate this improvement.  I have never been
> under the impression that the slider was used to actuate the breakers--
> you have to get your fingers directly on the handles-- but rather to
> prevent both breakers from being turned on at the same time.

Yes - that is the point I have been trying to make - William said it
better...

> I do miss the 2" KO from the AC box into the ACA adapter, I'll pull one
> myself the next install.

This is being addressed we originally did not think we could get the 2"
k.o. into the new ACA housing with the new surge/lightning protector
installed into it - turns out we did.  So soon there will be larger
knockouts for this connection.

> Regarding the X240, once we figured out how to mount it, we found it did
> not impede our access to the busses greatly.  We pre-wire all of these
> systems at our shop which requires pre-installing the X240 into the AC
> cabinet prior to mounting the cabinet on the back board.  Here's our
> X240 mounting tip:  We use two 1/4X20 flat head machine screws installed
> from the back side of the AC cabinet.  This secures the X240 for wiring
> and transport.  When the AC cabinet is placed on the backboard, you can
> loosen the 2 nuts and slide the X240 until you can put the remaining two
> screws through the X240 tabs, through the back of the AC cabinet and
> into the threaded inserts in the back board.

Just to be clear - there are threaded holes in the FLEXware mounting
plate for the installation of the X-240 transformer.  I guess what
William is describing is wiring up the AC box without the backplate and
then later installing it onto the backplate at the site?

> While I am at it, here's our FX mounting tip:  Take two of the longest
> mounting screws.  Cut the heads off with a Dremel cut-off wheel and
> grind two screwdriver slots in the exposed shafts.  These become your
> positioners.  Pre thread all FX mounting screws into back plate to
> create threads.  Install the two positioners into the back board.  Lift
> the inverter onto the positioner studs.  Install two mounting screws--
> lift the FX slightly while tightening screws to take pressure off of the
> positioners.  Remove positioners and install two remaining screws.

We actually do provide two longer screws that can be installed into the
threaded holes from the back of the mounting plate PRIOR to the mounting
plate being installed onto the wall.  These two "studs" are between the
two mounting holes on each end of the inverter.  They support the
inverter while installing it it onto the wall and do not need to be
removed once the inverter has been screwed down.  It makes the inverters
able to be installed / removed by a single person.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com