Magnum Inverters (was Flex ware inverter bypass slide) [RE-wrenches]

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Thu Nov 29 11:52:49 PST 2007

I installed a Magnum in my house after my SW bit the dust in a massive
lightning strike this past summer.  I was excited to try a new inverter
out so I could offer my clients more than the OB since I will not install
another Xantrex product if I have the remotest choice.  I wanted to test
it out before subjecting any customers to it, and I'm glad I did, sort of.
 I too am pretty unhappy with the charge parameter settings - similar to
the DR.  I also noticed a marketed increase in radio frequency noise in
the house and on the portable phones.  Very disappointing since I would
have assumed that there would be at least no more RF interference from the
Magnum than from a 10 year old SW.

When I called Magnum support about these issues, first I was told that I
had no need for more variability in the charge parameters than they
offered, so there was no chance of any changes there.  When I mentioned
that Robin Gudgel told me that Magnum was working on an upgrade that would
do just that, the tech check with the engineers and then allowed that in
fact they were working on something, but it would be released for at least
a year, and that I would have to get a new controller to be able to use
it.  Even though they have advertised their equipment to be field
upgradable, and there was no offer to replace my unit.

About the RF he hinted that some others may have mentioned that concern,
but it wasn't a concern of Magnum's, and they hadn't any reason to believe
there was a problem - that the problem was on my end.  It is possible
since I switched to an E-panel, that the mixing of the AC and DC wiring
may be having some effect that way, but Robin didn't seem to think that
should have any effect.  I'm no electrical engineer so I've basically
dropped this issue for the time being, although my wife complains that she
cannot stand to listen to the radio anymore...

So at this time, I am not recommending the Magnum to anyone, as much for
the poor customer support as unhappiness with a few significant aspects of
their product.  I do intend to use the E-panel more and echo the positive
comments about Robin's service, though he probably shouldn't answer the
phone so much.   And I look forward to his release of their charge
controller, a new improved Lightning Arrestor which he has sort of
promised...

Howie

ps  Has anyone else had RF issues with either the Magnum or the E-panel?

--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com