Outback BOS tips [RE-wrenches]

Nick Lucchese nickl at sierrasolar.com
Thu Nov 29 10:31:36 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

William,

I have yet to install or build up the new Flexware 500 or 1000 since
up till now our vendors still stocked the old PS2 and PS4 equipment.
But from what I recall in the documentation is that the back plate
now comes with hanger studs to temporarily suspend the inverters.
Were these not beneficial to you or perhaps overlooked since your
custom cut off screw approach worked so well? Maybe they didn't
actually make it on the final product but still shown in the manual?
Just curious, since I have not had my hands on one yet other than a
couple FW250's.

Aside from that, anyone have a Flexnet manual they can email me yet?

Nick A Lucchese

>Friends:
>
>We just installed our first Flexware 500 system.  I did not see any
>problem with the by-pass slider.  I noted that a year or so ago the
>openings for the breaker handles were enlarged so both could be shut
>off at the same time.  I appreciate this improvement.  I have never
>been under the impression that the slider was used to actuate the
>breakers-- you have to get your fingers directly on the handles--
>but rather to prevent both breakers from being turned on at the same
>time.
>
>I do miss the 2" KO from the AC box into the ACA adapter, I'll pull
>one myself the next install.
>
>Regarding the X240, once we figured out how to mount it, we found it
>did not impede our access to the busses greatly.  We pre-wire all of
>these systems at our shop which requires pre-installing the X240
>into the AC cabinet prior to mounting the cabinet on the back board.
>Here's our X240 mounting tip:  We use two 1/4X20 flat head machine
>screws installed from the back side of the AC cabinet.  This secures
>the X240 for wiring and transport.  When the AC cabinet is placed on
>the backboard, you can loosen the 2 nuts and slide the X240 until
>you can put the remaining two screws through the X240 tabs, through
>the back of the AC cabinet and into the threaded inserts in the back
>board.
>
>While I am at it, here's our FX mounting tip:  Take two of the
>longest mounting screws.  Cut the heads off with a Dremel cut-off
>wheel and grind two screwdriver slots in the exposed shafts.  These
>become your positioners.  Pre thread all FX mounting screws into
>back plate to create threads.  Install the two positioners into the
>back board.  Lift the inverter onto the positioner studs.  Install
>two mounting screws-- lift the FX slightly while tightening screws
>to take pressure off of the positioners.  Remove positioners and
>install two remaining screws.
>
>We never order pre-wired systems.  They are too hard to transport
>and we have found errors in vendor wiring.  We do not use the
>black-for-phase-A and red-for-Phase-B color code.  We have never
>found an instance where keeping track of the phases was of any
>benefit.  Instead, black is for inverter input and red for inverter
>output.  The same color code is used for the buss bars.   This makes
>tracing wiring much easier.
>
>We draw up all of our installations with Visio.  All of the thinking
>is done before hand.  I can share Visio templates on request.
>
>Never trust the Outback error codes.  They often point at the wrong error.
>
>William Miller
>

>- - - -
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & how to change your email address:
>www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/

Nick A Lucchese
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Planet Home
General Contractor # 808851
Sierra Solar Systems
563C Idaho Maryland Road
Grass Valley, CA 95945
tech info and foreign orders:  (530) 273-6754
order line: (800) 51-SOLAR (US only)   FAX:  (530) 273-1760
e-mail:  <mailto:nickl at sierrasolar.com>
world wide web:  <http://www.sierrasolar.com>

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php