Surface polarisation [RE-wrenches]

Carl Emerson, Free Power Ltd. freepower at freepower.co.nz
Sun Nov 18 15:43:59 PST 2007

Hi gang,

I came across this article that suggests positive earthing of systems will
improve performance in some cases. I understand that SMA has developed a kit
to facilitate this having acknowledged the performance advantages.

Text of a technical comment follows.

=============================

SunPower has announced it has discovered a new performance effect it calls
'surface polarisation' in high-efficiency silicon solar cells. Surface
polarisations create the non-destructive and reversible accumulation of
static charge on the surface of high-efficiency solar cells, it said. The
effect occurs when minute amounts of electrical current leak through the
face of the solar cell and accumulate on the surface. SunPower said it found
that electricity production in systems that use high-efficiency solar cells
could be significantly decreased or increased by varying the system wiring
and grounding configurations. As the result of the company's discovery,
SunPower scientists have developed and applied for patents on new solar cell
and system designs that eliminate surface polarisation.

A more detailed discussion is found here...

www.solarsales.com.au/download/SunPowerPolarizationHandbook.pdf

Guys, this is said to effect Back Contact and Thin Film modules.

I have found no hard data on the performance advantages, can someone comment
on this ??

Thanks,

Carl Emerson

Free Power Ltd.