NABCEP requirements [RE-wrenches]

Conrad Geyser conradg at cape.com
Thu Nov 15 14:24:44 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Ezra & all,

In a slightly different vein, my understanding of the PV exam is that it
weighs heavily towards off grid systems which we see very little of here in
eastern Massachusetts.  That coupled with the lack of course work available
to be able to get brought up to speed has presented what seems to be a
barrier to installers around here.  I personally haven't taken the PV exam
because of this and I know of several experienced installers who have failed
it, some of them more than once.  Perhaps there should be an off grid and
grid tied classification...

I found the thermal exam to be fairly reasonable but maybe needing a little
more overlap with plumbing code.

Other than that I think that NABCEP hopefully presents us with an
opportunity(way down the road) to permit our own tie ins in states (like
Massachusetts) that have no licensing diversity.  And yes I agree that
homeowners should be able to do and (wherever possible) permit their own
work!  Perhaps states requiring NABCEP certification could be urged to adopt
that policy.

Are the jurisdictions requiring NABCEP certification allowing tie ins by to
be permitted by solar installers?

Conrad
Cotuit Solar
NABCAP thermal TM