Backfeeding a "240V Delta with a stinger" [RE-wrenches]

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Tue Nov 13 11:25:32 PST 2007

We have two customers with 240V/3P service with one center tap (neutral and
grounded). I understand how these work in a conventional (i.e. non-PV)
world. Assume for the purposes of discussion the center tap is between legs
L1 and L2. The following voltages can be derived:

L1-N 120V,
L2-N 120V,
L1-L2=L2-L3=L3-L1 240V,
L3-N 208V

My question is, "With the latest NEC requirement of wiring grid-tied
inverters with a connection to neutral, how can we backfeed the L2-L3 or
L1-L3 legs? Are confined to the L1-L2 connection?"

I have been told that Fronius might have a workaround by resetting a jumper
(I'll look into this) but the question still remains.

Since we have two customers with this situation, and one job we have already
started, any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com