Heating oil vs. electric heat [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Tue Nov 13 03:26:39 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Joel

Your numbers are correct as far as they go. With electric,heat pumps can
push efficiency to around 500% depending on source and output temps. Water
or ground source would probably be the best option to look at, combined of
course with passive solar/superinsulated design/build. If this is an
existing house, conservation can go a long way if infiltration is addressed,
crawlspaces are kept dry and sealed, residing with exterior insulation is
done , insulating window treatments are used, trees are added /removed for
solar access and shade , solar gain is improved ,etc.Wood or pellet backup
can make air source much more economical by keeping the electric strip
backup off.
As for electric, if the heating can be done during off peak hours, electric
rates usually drop dramatically.A nice tie in would be solar/wood hot water
with radiant slab with a water-source heat pump for backup HVAC.
Here in Va. TOU rates are about .15 /KWH on peak and 1.5 off. Or we can use
a water heating rate , with a seperate meter, at 3.5/KWH ,only on in off
peak hours.

All sorts of possibilities when tying into a battery based, gen backup, net
meter PV system.
Come to think of it, a whole house UPS with just the right amount of muscle
!

Just a note re; the markets list discussion of conservation. I think , as '
energy experts '  we're more aware of, and anxious about, energy issues. And
that makes us  very passionate ! And that is a good emotion !

To quote a local ashram--" Truth is one, Paths are many "

Peace and good will to all

Ken