Mismatch module losses? [RE-wrenches]

Sky Sims sky at ecologicalsystems.biz
Wed Oct 31 14:38:16 PDT 2007

3 different module types nice. No one will recommend doing this, but if
I wanted to maximize the performance my guess would be to series string
the 2 80watt modules and series string the 2 120watt panels then put the
175watt module in its own series string. Then I would parallel all 3
strings together. My experience when playing around with this type of
scenario is that the voltages will hit some sort of parity that allows
all the strings to contribute to the overall wattage and the amps will
simply add together. After you hook it all up prudence would require
that you verify with an amp probe under load whether or not all the
panels are actually feeding power to the charge controller.
Disconnecting strings and doing voltage and amperage checks and
reconnecting strings will give you a definitive answer as to whether or
not the power is being clipped to any significant degree.

Sky Sims
Ecological Systems
www.ecologicalsystems.biz
220 County Road 522