Earthing battery banks [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 11:53:14 PDT 2007

Hi
I am most experianced with Outback installations in
this situation.  First "earth"/ground the frames and
strtucture, and where it is feasible I run a ground
wire, to a ground rod and to the electrical system
ground.  This is run in parallel with the equipment
ground conductor.

The array current carrying conductors are connected to
ground through an Outback or other lightning arrestor.
 I believe Outback is now requireing the use of their
arrestor on the AC side of the inverter.  I also put a
lightning arrestor on the DC side.  ALWAYS

Thanks Darryl

--- Howie Michaelson <howie at suncatchervt.com> wrote:

> So if one has a roof mounted battery based system
> (and therefore the GFDI
> is required) how do folks deal with lightening
> protection issues?
>
> Howie Michaelson
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
>
> Sun Catcher, LLC
> Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
> http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
> (cell) 802-272-0004
> (home) 802-439-6096
>

> > Hi
> > If you have the GFDI used with your
> modules/system,
> > you are not allowed to ground except through the
> GFDI.
> >  That is the module frames and racking should be
> > "earthed" of course, but neither of the current
> > carrying conductors should be connected to ground
> > "earth" EXCEPT VIA GFDI circuit.  So you should
> not
> > ground the positive or negative of the battery.
> If I
> > do not have a GFDI then I usually ground the
> negative
> > side, note if you ground the current carrying
> system
> > at the battery negative, this is the only place
> the
> > conductors should be grounded other wise you will
> have
> > parallel paths.
> > Darryl
> >
> > --- Ron Schroeder <wd8cdh at optonline.net> wrote:
> >

> >> If you have to float the system, earthing thru a
> >> spark gap will provide some
> >> protection.
> >>
> >> Ron Schroeder
> >> WD8CDH