[Fwd: Ready Solar Seeking Installation Partners: Marketing & Leads Prov

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Sat Aug 11 12:11:13 PDT 2007

Daryl,

I did receive the e-mail.  I have also seen this product promoted elsewhere.

My very first impression is that the AL skirt around the modules allows for
zero air flow under the array on composite shingle roofs.

I think there are two advantages to having some space:

1 - The larger the space, the greater the air flow, the cooler the panel.
This can have a significant effect on yield.  For hot and very hot climates
this might not be an appropriate installation method.

2 - Ventilation of the roof decking is important to prevent the accumulation
of moss which can lead to damming and leaks.

Other than that, despite to rhetoric and efforts towards making PV
installation more generic, I personally believe that there is a limit to the
amount of standardization possible in the residential retrofit market,
considering the hugh variation in site specific conditions.  Because if
this, I am wary of cookie cutter approaches such as this one, or the mass
installation approach of groups like SolarCity, or claims by groups like
CitizenRe of developing one size fits all intallation methods that will cut
cost significantly.

Time Will Tell,

MPF