Compact Fluorescent Lamps [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 14:51:21 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Thank you all for your replies.

We returned the n:vision CFLs to Home Depot . After reading wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp got some Bright
Effects lights at Lowe's. The 13-watt swirly tube item #46428 gives off a
greenish tint and they go back. The light from the Bright Effects 15-watt
bulb-like item #82382 is very similar to the light from a standard 60-watt
incandescent bulb.

Interestingly, both Bright Effects CFLs are 60-watt replacements. The swirly
tube type rated 13 watts is supposed to last up to 7 years (3 hours/day),
but the bulb-like type consumes 15 watts and lasts up to 5 years (probably
because encasing the swirly tube in the bulb causes heat that shortens its
life).

We will keep trying other brands that we see on our trips to the stores.
Rhetorically, I wonder how much energy is wasted making poor quality lights,
shopping for CFLs, throwing away lousy lights or returning them to the
store?

Something to be thinking about is the California Solar Initiative's
requirement for energy audits may someday require energy conservation and
efficiency in conjunction with PV. The up-side is obvious. The down-side is
that PV contractors are going to have to become or partner with energy
conservation and efficiency providers. Given that lighting retrofits,
insulation, etc. are cheaper and have a faster payback, customers and
conservation vendors will likely defer PV until after conservation. Doing so
makes sense, but deferring PV will not grow the industry or drive prices
down.

Joel Davidson