Inverter location [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Wed Jul 11 18:32:47 PDT 2007

Bill,

I apologize for the false wrench-mail start earlier.

This is a timely reminder for me to hear right now. I am working on the
design for a 13kw system with a wire run of 850 feet!
An expensive wire run any way we do it.

AC looks simpler at first. Inverters (2 SMA SB 7000's) at the arrays pushing
electrons thru 750 MCM AL conductors in 4" conduit to the service entrance.
But as Bill points out we do not want the inverter(s) to see higher voltages
on it's terminals due to voltage drops. Best to play that safe since any
resistance in that wire run, and connections, not accounted for in your
calculations can shut down the inverters if the utility voltage is on the
high side.

DC wire run involves more conductors but is more of a sure thing.
We may use 72 Evergreen 180's. They are 25.9 vmp and 6.95 amps. With series
strings of 12 modules 310 volts 6.95 amps. I calculate 6 pairs of #4 Cu, or
#2 AL.

I have a question pertaining to paralleling series strings together (3
strings in this case) before the long wire run to the inverter. Is this an
acceptable/workable practice? That would mean that we are still transmitting
310 volts mp but at 20.85 amps (26.06 amps cold temp.) into the SMA 7000. If
we could do this we would only need 2 pairs of DC conductors. I calculate
1/0 CU, or 3/0 AL in this case.

Back to the grounding lesson of a couple of weeks ago Bill. Let me run my
understanding of that by you for this case. This assumes inverters at
service entrance and an 850 foot PV wire run. With a separately derived
system I can ground the pv arrays and bond negative to ground at the dc
combiner box(es). No ground wire in pvc conduit and no ground wire in
trench. At the DC disconnect(s), just before inverter(S), I will bond DC
negative to ground. This is my understanding of separately derived systems.
Your posting on June 22nd is quite clear and the best concise description
that I have seen on pv grounding issues that I have read. I normally do not
bond the negative to equipment ground at the array combiner box. I normally
do run #6 copper in the trench, along side the conduit, to connect the
grounding electrode system of the pv array(s) together with the grounding
electrode system at the house. I have done this with pv arrays that are up
to 250 feet away from the house. I have had very low incidence of lightning
damage over my 20 plus years of installing. Other systems that I have
serviced, that do not have as much copper in the ground, seem to suffer more
damage from lightning induced electrical surges.

Dave