module tests [RE-wrenches]

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Mon Jul 9 19:06:48 PDT 2007

>>What are the typical qualifications, tests and standards for >solar >
>>modules.

Drake, I ~almost~ forgot the obvious tests! ~  UL of course... UL1703
(PDF costs $708.00) and also references UL documents, : 44 * 83 * 94 *
224 * 310 * 486A * 486B * 512 * 514A * 514C * 746A * 746B * 746C * 746D
* 790 * 796 * 969 * 1439 * 1446 * 1703 * 1977 * C/ORD-C1703-1 *
so to compleletly understand 1703, you must buy these as well.

So, for just a measly few thousand dollar$, you can "look at" these test
documents.  There are also some IEEE documents that some reccomendations
come from which are listed on ULs (.com) web site.

These are some of the kind of tests and things that keep anufacturers
very busy, and also keeps products from being released faster.

boB

Flat-Plate Photovoltaic Modules and Panels UL 1703
1 Scope

1.1 These requirements cover flat-plate photovoltaic modules and panels
intended for installation on or integral with buildings, or to be
freestanding (that is, not attached to buildings), in accordance with
the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70, and Model Building Codes.

1.2 These requirements cover modules and panels intended for use in
systems with a maximum system voltage of 1000 V or less.

1.3 These requirements also cover components intended to provide
electrical connection to and mounting facilities for flat-plate
photovoltaic modules and panels.

1.4 These requirements do not cover:
(concentrators, Thermal, etc.)

boB Gudgel wrote:

> Drake Chamberlin wrote:
> > Hi Wrenches,
> > What are the typical qualifications, tests and standards for solar
> > modules.  Is there a web site where this information can be found?
> > Thanks, Drake
>

> A quick Google search brought up something about the
> IEC 61215/61646 test standard which from what I see is "the only
> applicable standard today for the certification of crystalline silicon
> and thin film flat plate photovoltaic modules" from 1996
> and still being used as of 2005. STC Rratings are "Flash Tested"
> or course, so as to not heat up the modules above 25 degrees C.
>
> Found a flow chart of the basic test procedure here:
>
> http://www.poly.asu.edu/ptl/testinglinks/iec1.html

boB Gudgel K7IQ
MidNite Solar
Washington AC