Regs in Washington DC [RE-wrenches]

Steve Johnson stevejohnson at comcast.net
Wed Jul 4 10:16:06 PDT 2007

Andrew,

Regarding the T&D charges I think it is preposterous.  The PV is premium
electricity.  It helps reduce peak load and helps reduce grid load.
They should pay extra for this.  (As they already do when they use
supplemental generation or buy wheeled power when base load is
inadequate.)  Additionally thousands of PV systems help them avoid
capital costs for additional generating plants.  They should pay for
this too.

TVA credits 15 cents per kwh to the customer for PV through a second
meter which reads right off the inverter.  My cost is 7.5 cents for
regular juice.  This is a great deal for TVA because their customer
builds the power plant!  Reduces peak load!  Helps with grid congestion!
 15 cents is CHEAP!

A proposal (not by TVA)is in the early formative stage.  In this
proposal a house that is 30% more efficient would get 20 cents a kwh and
a house that is 50 percent more efficient would get, say, 25 cents kwh.
This rewards efficiency and conservation!  Helps peak load, grid
congestion, and avoids capital expense.

TVA has 72 supplemental generators for peak load.  Natural gas and
diesel.  These must be expensive to purchase, maintain, and operate.
they are for peak loading.  I would think diesel would cost them 30
cents a kwh if you factor in replacement generators and maintenance.
Likely more than that.  anybody know?

When you are reducing load on the grid you shouldn't pay extra for it.
You already support the grid through your normal payments or past
payments if you net out to zero.

That's my story and i"m stickin with it.

Steve Johnson

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com