Battery Experience/Suggestions for Grid Tie? [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu May 24 05:56:06 PDT 2007

That is another advantage of lead calcium wet cells. They use next to no
water. In the 20 years the bank I inherited were at our hydro plant,
they had water added only twice. Equalizing is not recommended more than
ever few years (if ever) either. They are robust and not easily damaged.
They last a very long time and are specifically designed for float
conditions. The only downside is the cost.

The price to replace those lead calcium wet cells down at the dam was
around $10K for 12 kW (20 X 6 volts X 100 a/h). By comparison 20 kW of
L-16's were at the time about $1.3K. And that is for about twice the
a/h's. The life span is about 1/3 but still, even considering that the
price differential is about 10X!!

If you have a customer that tends to not pay close attention to the
batteries in their backup system, AND price was not an issue... these
are the cells I would choose.

Todd

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php