Flexible Conduit [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Thu May 17 19:17:44 PDT 2007

Thanks for the response Erika,

I hope the List does not mind my using some of it's bandwidth to flesh out
an issue that I am looking at.

After sending the post, I re-visited the Code which makes it clear that FMC
must have no more 360 degree of bend.

So question answered.  But why is this?  What is the thinking behind the
requirement?

My sense is that FMC is required to allow removal and re-installation of
conductors.  OK, makes sense.

Why is this an issue for me?  Well, NEC 2005 allows un-disconnected PV DC
conductors to run through a building, but only if in metallic conduit.  OK,
so they can be in FMC, cool, but only 360 degrees.

Well Gee, MC can be bent as much as you like, no limit there under the Code.
So in some difficult retrofits where even running FMC is prohibitive,
wouldn't it be great to use MC.

Of course the recommendation for the NEC 2008 add MC as an allowable method,
but it will be more than 6 years before my jurisdiction adopts that.

But in the end, what is the difference between fishing MC around compared to
pre-loading conductors into FMC and fishing that around.

Just trying to learn a little something and maybe make my job a little
easier.

MPF