Tripping breaker [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 07:07:52 PDT 2007

Hi Andrew
it sounds like overheat.  It is commom to have
breakers trip when next to other warm breakers or a
very warm panel.  Breakers are themal devices, they
trip because of heat or surge and a magnetic coil.
They are all thermal-magnetic.

One idea is to place your breaker at the lowest
position in the cabnet.  Another is the change wire
and go with a 40 amp breaker.  The breaker trips
because of the combination of internal generated heat
and cabinet heat.
Darryl
--- Andrew Truitt <atruitt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> We are having issues with a backfeed breaker from a
> Fronious IG 3000
> tripping.  Here is the situation from what I have
> been told:
>
> - The 200A main panel is loaded with about 500A of
> breakers per pole
> (many tandems).
> - The initial 25A backfeed breaker was replaced with
> a 30A and moved
> further from the main breaker on the busbar with no
> effect.  The
> breaker is still only 1/2 way down the busbar,
> though.
> - The breaker trips about twice a month, generally
> on sunny days.
> - Fronious has examined the info from the data
> logger and can see
> nothing wrong with the inverter.  Even more telling:
> the 16A AC
> breaker in the Fronious hasn't tripped once.
> - None of the other breakers in the panel are
> tripping.
> - The run from the inverter to the main panel is 15'
> of #6 UF that
> runs behind a 900 lb refrigerator that has not been
> moved but the rest
> of the run has been visually inspected and appears
> fine.
>
> First off, I know that this is a jacked up inter-tie
> - it was done by
> an independent electrician a year ago who I would
> not ever let touch
> one of my systems on penalty of toenail removal
> Wierd-Al-Yankovic
> style.
>
> My guess - there is a ground fault in the UF behind
> the fridge that is
> so slight that it only occurs at max current.   But
> wouldn't that trip
> the Fronious breaker?  If an overheated busbar were
> the culprit then
> ours would not be the only breaker tripping,
> especially not after
> changing it and moving it.  If replacing the wire
> doesn't do it then I
> am inclined to try a supply-side tap but I'm just
> not convinced that
> it will help unless there is something about the
> fact that the breaker
> is backfeeding that makes it more prone to trip than
> the load
> breakers.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> I am going down to take a look for myself later this
> week with some
> 10-2 MC-lite and bible.
>

> Andrew Truitt
> Standard Solar Inc.