OutBack Innovation and Support [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Wed May 2 08:17:41 PDT 2007

Chris:

Thanks for your heads up on new things to come at Outback.   Hint - This is a tough group, if anyone  stays off line for over a week we start trashing them!

The big issue you could clear up is when using the Outback in grid sell mode with batteries, MATE, and a back-up generator.  You have read the many rants about not having an AC2 set of terminals to connect a generator to the inverter in addition to the grid on AC1 and I will not rehash that one.

Of course the work-around is using a separate automatic transfer switch with the generator, which will switch to the generator when there is a loss of grid power.  However, my original concern with this on a system we are designing right now is what happens when the Outback "sees" a different AC source.  Its input is being switched from a AC source the inverter was programmed to sell to and not control, to a source that it should not sell to and should control (low battery generator start/stop).

When I first posted the question, there were many who indicated the home-owner has to manually switch settings on the MATE every time there is a power outage.   Please resolve this once and for all.   We have a 12 kW generator and transfer switch ahead of the inverter, since it has a higher output than a single GVFX inverter can handle, so we can also supply several larger non-inverter loads like a clothes washer and gas dryer.   When using a GVFX3648 inverter with batteries and a MATE, programmed for SELL mode to the grid, exactly what happens if there is a power outage and a generator starts supplying power to the inverter instead of the grid?

1.  Does the inverter shut down or just dis-connect from grid?

2.  If the inverter "sees" the generator come on line, will it think its the grid and try to sell to the generator?

3.  Will the inverter charge the batteries as soon as the generator comes on line or will owner need to re-program MATE settings?

4.  Will the MATE start and stop the generator as needed to maintain the batteries while also programmed for "sell" mode to the grid?

5.  Since the inverter and batteries can handle the critical loads until the grid is restored, how best to inter-face with the
    automatic transfer switch so the generator does not start until needed for battery charging while still programmed for SELL mode?

 Again, the issue is how can this be done without the home-owner having to re-program the MATE every time there is switch from grid sell to  generator back-up.

Thanks,

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

- - - -