Out in the outback with OutBack [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 08:41:00 PDT 2007

My two cents worth:
Even with the battery based systems, We are talking of
more than one system.

The grid tied customer wants to have away when the
grid goes down he can back up with generator after the
batterys are depleted. They would like to recharge the
batteries, and cycle between batteries and generator.
( I have used the cluge. to resonable success, (step
down transformer, rectifier, MX60)

There is also the standalone customer who wants the
MX60 to sense the battery state of charge and control
the generator to battery charge and take up load.
This and above have the idea that if the FX could
support the generator if the load exceeds a value.

Lastly there is "poor grid" customer who wants to
support a grid genny powered with solar and batteries
in all levels of support, from fractions to major
loads.

Thanks Darryl

--- Eric Youngren <eric at rainshadowinc.com> wrote:

> I have a theory.  I tried to address it in an
> earlier post about GT w/ BB
> systems but nobody bit.   Here again I'll throw it
> out there for those who
> understand these things better.
>
> I think the problem is an inherent difference in
> inverter technologies and
> function.
>
> In my SEI PV2 class in Carbondale a few years back,
> John Berdner taught
> inverters, and he broke it down like this:
>
> There are two basic types of inverters,  voltage
> source and current source.
>
> Voltage source are battery based, and produce their
> own voltage, waveform
> frequency and current flow.
>
> Current source inverters are grid-tied, and generate
> current flow only.
> They need an AC voltage, waveform and frequency to
> which they can
> synchronize and "push back" current against.
>
> I may be oversimplifying this, but is the inherent
> problem with high
> efficiency grid tie and battery backup simply that
> these are two very
> different tasks to ask of a single inverter?  Maybe
> the answer is a "hybrid"
> dual-purpose inverter system utilizing both
> technologies in a single box?
>
> Eric

=== message truncated ===

http://mail.yahoo.com