Grid tie with Diesels? [RE-wrenches]

Steve Johnson stevejohnson at comcast.net
Tue Apr 10 20:32:29 PDT 2007

Geof,
I'm budgeting a system like this too, but with a 500 kw diesel genset
(proposed by others).  This genset would be transfer switched to another
system backed up with a 225 kw diesel which is in tandem with some
inverters with batteries and some grid-tied and AC coupled with PV.
Maybe 60 kw PV.
When the 225 diesel generator is on it would run close to full bore, say
80% or so, charging batteries and running the grid.  When batteries get
charged it shuts off.
The grid tied PV and battery/inverter systems would operate the system
quietly as long as capable.  When batteries get to 50% the 225 diesel
kicks in and supplies grid while charging batteries, then shuts off
again.  This is just a preliminary design and no I haven't done a
successful (or unsuccessful) project like this before.

The battery inverters would have to set the "tone" for the grid as they
are the only thing always available.  But if they set the grid standard
then how can the genset match it?  This is where I am stuck. But then it
is late . . .

Steve Johnson
LightWave Solar Electric

- - - -