Commercial line tap [RE-wrenches]

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Apr 6 15:04:45 PDT 2007

Wrenches:

I am planning a ~26 kW commercial PV system which will be tying into a 3
phase 208 V service. I am new to these commercial 3 phase systems so I'm
seeking some help and design ideas for tying into the service. The 400 A
main service panel is maxed out with a 400 A main breaker so we won't be
able to tie our 200 A solar breaker in on the load side. I suppose we're
looking at either a line tap or a service upgrade to a 600 A main. Space is
extremely limited around the main panel - there is not a good area to place
an external fused disconnect so we're hoping that we can fit something in
within the main panel.

The attached photo shows the main panel partially opened up. Any information
on the best way to perform a line tap would be appreciated. Other ideas are
welcome. I'm trying to get some help from Square D but haven't had any luck
yet.

Thanks in advance,

August Goers

Managing Engineer