Grounding on granite island [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael.welch at homepower.com
Fri Apr 6 09:56:44 PDT 2007

Hi gang I an email awhile back about a grounding question, and a follow-up phone call today.

This fellow is building a PV/wind/generator system for small cottages on a solid granite rock out on Lake Huron. His earth grounding plan is to haul a big steel plate out onto the ice (will need to do this pretty soon) and let it sink to the lake floor as a way of grounding the system.

Or he may be able to submerge a plate in his graywater pool.

There is no more than 6 inches of earth above the granite on the island. He does not have access to the kind of equipment needed to drill deep holes in the granite, but he can drill 6 or so inches deep.

His RE dealer has been no help because of the unusual nature of the problem, and he has not been able to get help from local electrical engineers and electricians for the same reason.

He wants to know if he is doing this correctly, and what size plates to use, how many, and anything else you can think of.

You can either respond here if you think it will be of interest to the list, or if you need more info and want to carry out an email conversation with him, let me know off list and I will get you his email address.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Welch
Sr. Editor
     Home Power magazine