Hot water at summer camp [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Sat Mar 24 05:43:21 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Chemistry was never my strong point-- an understatement-- but I believe "
acid rain " has more to do with some of the other pollutants coming from
coal burning, rather than CO2. Sulfer dioxide, I think, as in sulfuric acid.
Our shallow aquafir and surface watewr also tends to the lower ph due to
pine and oak trees. Pine needles especially keep the surrounding soil a
lower ph.. Any chem majors or soil scientists care to chime in?

Drain Back systems-- not to be confused with Drain Down systems !-- are not
only better when overheating and stagnation is likely. They are also more
efficient due to the following issues;
1--water is a better conductor than antifreeze solutions
2--if you use a large,unpressurized tank, with the heat exchange to
pressurized water on the output side, the the water circulating thru the
collector will be cooler.
    The efficiency curve of a flat plate collector is sensitive to inlet
water temp. So if we want to maximize our BTU input, we need to work with
the     coolest fluid temps practical .

Some other advantages;

1-- with an unpressurized tank, it is easy to put heat in from other
sources, say a wood boiler.
2-- it is also easy to take heat out, say for radiant slabs, or fan
convectors.

Now for the Summer camp--

I never got answers needed to now the details of appropriate design-- and '
the devil is in the details' so I'll make some assumptions;

1-- summer camp means june, july and august
2- location is Texas, daytime temps in the 90's or hotter
3- incoming water temp is 70-80 F, unless the source includes a large
aboveground storage tank, which might well be hotter.
4-shower temps will be 95-120F  [ sweaty kids may well like a cool shower at
4PM after a day in the Texas sun !]
5- 14 showers at 2gpm x 5min equals 140 gals in less than an hour, per cabin
6- there are 21 systems ----lets assume 20 cabins and one kitchen, which has
a different load profile and higher hot water temp needed.Up to 180F.
7- at least some of these structures are grouped , say less than 50 ft
apart.

For the kitchen, I would then think about an appropriate size glazed
collector-- I've always been happy with the AET collectors --and an
unpressurized site built tank with submerged SS tanks as the output heat
exchange. If the tank is at least 2 gal/ sq ft of collector, efficiency
should be quite high and water temps low enough to limit scaling. If the
water supply is chlorinated then 316, rather than 304, SS should be used .
If a commercial water heater is used for 180F sanitizing dish washing is
used, then they may have, or want to install a softening system designed for
their needs.

For the cabins, I'd consider using unglazed pool collectors, roof mounted on
the sunniest cabins with appropriate size drainback heat exchange tank,
exterior location, to twin 80 gal electric tanks in the shower area.If there
were an unusual cool cloudy spell predicted, the elements could be activated
at off peak times. The larger the drainback tank, the better the carry thru
for those unusual days. Underground , insulated, piping in sealed plastic
drain pipe [ sealed to prevent condensation building up in the drain pipe]
would connect the cabins to the main storage/ heat exchange tank.

If some of my assumptions are off, glazed collectors could be added in
series, or substituted entirely.

A whole different option would be heat pump water heaters, running at nite
for the next days hot water. If the cabins have AC--[surely not at summer
camp!], that is used almost every nite, de-superheaters would give free hot
water and increase AC efficiency.

note to Bill-- thanks for the compliment. Guess I'm way out of the box now
!?

Ken Schaal
www.commonwealthsolar.com