HUP VS Rolls [RE-wrenches]

Ezra Auerbach, DragonSun Consulting ezra at lasqueti.net
Wed Mar 14 09:11:05 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Hello All,

I have running a set of Surrettes (Rolls) for about eight months.
They do come up to voltage pretty quickly, even brand new, when I use
the generator, but they do go ahead and accept a pretty hefty rate of
current (>70 amps) for a number of hours before they start to taper
down. I do expect to have to apply the C10 rate on a reqular basis as
part of maintaining these batteries.

If these batteries are near as good and long lasting as my last set
I'll be pleased. My last set were Global Yuasa tubular plate 2 Vdc
cells. I got them from Davidson Battery Service in Vancouver B. C,
and they lasted a full 14 years in my application - nasty care, heavy
loads etc. They are now "resting" in light duty service in an
application with less load demand. These batteries too wanted a C10
charge rate for initial charging.

I'd not shy away from Surrette (Rolls) but I would be sure to have an
adequately sized charging system. A basic rule of thumb for me is too
much lead and too little silicone = the need for a big generator for
occasional use.

Cheers,

Ezra Auerbach

DragonSun Consulting