connecting OutBack for generator support was Converting Off-Grid OB to Gri

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Sun Feb 25 11:56:38 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Todd:

I hope you are aware that the Outback FX inverter does not provide
"generator support," that is, the capability for the inverter to sync to
and add to the output from a current limited AC source.

Consider a small generator with, say, only 12 amps AC capability.  Should
the loads exceed that 12 amps, an SW inverter would start inverting and
assist the generator in powering any loads above the programmed 12 amps.

In this same case, the Outback FX would transfer loads entirely to the
generator and, if the loads exceed the 12 amps, the generator would
overload.  The generator would slow down or the voltage would decrease
until either the frequency or the voltage falls out of tolerance and the
inverter would disconnect from the generator.  The generator voltage and
frequency then return to normal and, after the delay, would be reconnected
by the inverter.   Repeat this scenario until someone intervenes.

If your loads are ever larger than your AC source, you are out of luck with
an FX.  This is a significant failing of the Outback, in my humble opinion,
and one I hope they remedy soon.  I understand this is due to the basic
topology of the FX inverter and the fact that there is only one main
transformer, and it can perform only one function at a time.

No disrespect intended to Outback.  The Outback FX line and BOS components
has many shining features that remedied many other defects in the SW
inverter line.  Chris Freitas, please correct me if any information above
is not accurate.

The race is on, at least in my view, to see if Outback can correct this
short coming before the Xantrex XW series is unveiled.

Respectfully,

William Miller

At 10:05 AM 2/25/2007, you wrote:

>I hope Christopher answers these questions. I have a grid tied Outback
>system with generator support coming up next year and need to get it clear
>how this can be done. The ONLY thing I liked better about the SW than the
>FX was that is had provisions for two AC inputs.
>
>Todd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php