Small Inverter Recommomendations [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Sat Feb 24 15:48:06 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Wrenches;

We still have a need in the Taos area for small  (read cheap) inverters
and power systems. I've been considering dropping this side of our
business, especially when Xantrex recently dropped the UX series of
inverters. I just can't let these people fall prey to the Internet
predators and wiring nightmares I've seen in the past though.
I'm considering offering a small system with one of the POS inverters
along with Midnight Solar's new Low cost DC disconnects. The question
is, which of the cheapo inverters has the best reliability? I'm looking
at Xantrex's Xpower solid state junk, Triplite has some solid state
stuff, Invertek actually looks a bit like the old transformer based UX
series, etc. I've seen too many solid state inverters end up as door
stops to trust them now.
 I recently built a demonstration system for a college with very little
budget. I used a Samlex 1500 watt inverter, then only provided an 80 amp
breaker. The idea was to derate the inverter substantially to hopefully
allow it to survive longer. I've done this before with Exeltechs to keep
them alive if someone tries to  plug an air compressor into them.
So what's your opinion? Got a model that's good? or send me after bigger
game and let these poor folks fend for them selves......

Ray Walters
SolarRay, Inc.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com