AC Connection at Fused Disconnect [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Tue Feb 6 12:24:04 PST 2007

An idealist in an unfair world...man am I in the wrong business?

I do have an alternative in the wing, but no help if the AHJ doesn't go for
the tap.

Here is the language that John used:

"Even when it appears that the requirement is met with an external breaker
or fused
disconnect, the question remains, how far can the disconnect be located from
the point of
connection? Sections 690.64(B) and (B)(1) have been interpreted by some
inspectors as
indicating that the breaker/fused disconnect must, as the point of
connection, be
collocated with the equipment being tapped. This interpretation would not
allow an
externally mounted disconnect.
Since some panel boards/load centers have no spare spaces for a PV backfed
breaker,
some inspectors have accepted a compromise that does not require replacing
existing
panel boards.
First, the load circuit tap rules in article 240 are superceded by 690.64
requirements and
do not apply to these connections. Running extended conductors from a point
of
connection to a remotely located disconnect/overcurrent device would pose
the
possibility at some future date that that circuit could be tapped for loads
thereby violating
both the dedicated connection requirement and possibly posing safety issues
associated
with the inverter and the anti-islanding circuits."

I personally do not agree with the reasoning behind this but as long as
someone like John maintains this level of doubt about the applicability of
the method, then a guy like me doesn't have much of a chance.

MPF