PV Negative color [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Dec 6 10:26:18 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Hi Wrenches,

I am revisiting the issue of what the color of the PV negative should
be.  As a grounded circuit conductor, its color is required to be white.

When a run from an array is protected by ground fault
protection,  the negative wire from the array is only grounded when
the ground fault breaker is "ON,"  or the GFDI fuse is not
blown.  This breaker will trip, or the fuse will blow, when a ground
fault condition exists.

My concern is that if the positive wire ground-faults, the negative
will become hot, in some cases up to 600 VDC.   Do we want this wire
to be white, which tells any electrician that the wire should be safe?

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com