FX control of Onan [RE-wrenches]

Randy Brooks Randy at BrooksSolar.com
Fri Nov 23 20:34:18 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Fellow Wrenches,

To hopefully help others avoid this mistake, I'll share one of mine.

We just completed an off grid system using a FLEXware 500 with two
VFX3648 inverters, MX60, HUB, and MATE, coupled with an Onan GRCA,
12kW, propane generator (installed by others) with two wire remote
start.

After reviewing the auto start section of the Onan manual (not very
detailed), it appeared we could connect the FX AUX relay directly to
the two wire remote start circuit of the generator - wrong!

When we switched the Onan to "Auto", it immediately started, even
though there had been no command from the FX to start.  As soon as
the Onan came up to speed, the MATE began to beep and flash through
menu screens repeatedly.  We shut off the Onan immediately, but the
MATE kept beeping and flashing until we disconnected it.  With the
Onan control switch in the "Off" position, we plugged the MATE back
in.  After going through the welcome, software version, and polling
screens the MATE again began beeping and flashing menus repeatedly
until it was unplugged.  Resetting the whole FX system made no
difference.

A call to OutBack tech support indicated we had probably fried the
MATE.  OutBack sent us a new MATE overnight.  The new MATE worked.
We installed a relay between the FX AUX output and the Onan remote
start circuit, and everything worked fine.

After carefully reading the Onan manual again, I found that the
neutral of the Onan two wire auto start circuit is connected to the
neutral of the generator AC output.  So we likely sent AC through the
FX AUX relay.  It's surprising we didn't fry anything else.

So we'll be using a relay for all two wire start circuits in the future.

take care,

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
Solar Power for People