evacuated tubes vs. flate plates [RE-wrenches]

Tom Lane tom at ecs-solar.com
Tue Nov 20 19:51:19 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

The mature 12 year old German marketplace on the same latitude as Central
Canada - now has a 90% flat-plate market versus 10% evacuated tubes.
Evacuated tubes have serious problems shedding frost until very late in the
day, qnd even more problems shedding snow.

Anywhere in the U.S.A. flat plates will outperform evacuated tubes in the
winter for heating water to 140 degrees F and to 160 degrees F in the
summer.  Flat plates will not shatter in hail storms which easily destroy
evacuated tubes.  Many contractors make a critical mistake in choosing
evacuated tubes to heat hot water to 140 degrees F based on low-sun
conditions which favor evacuated tubes.  Actual collector output is input
times efficiency.  If input is nothing to start with (cloudy conditions)
your efficiency may be high, but you still do not collect much energy.
Based on your system performance on sunny days, when there is something to
gain, and the best flat-plate collector will outperform the best evacuated
tubes by 22% on anual savings, and by at least 6% under winter conditions in
heating water to 140 degrees F.  The obvious reason to use the much less
expensive, lower maintenance, longer lasting flat-plate collectors vs.
evacuated tubes in that overall performance depends on efficiency when the
sun is availableand the system should be "cooking" as opposed to when you
can't see your own shadow in the middle of the winter. There is no single
collector that can be labeled "the most efficient", for this depends on the
water temperatures the system is required for storage.  In most cases,
evacuated tubes collectors will be required when you need to heat water over
160 degrees F in the winter and over 180 degrees F in the summer.  Evacuated
tubes are a good choice when you need 180 degree F to 211 degree F
temperatures.

Even at extreme mountain altitudes in cold windy conditions, selective
coated flat plates will usually outperform or equal evacuated tube
collectors in heating water from 120 degrees to 140 degrees F at 0 to 32
degrees F amient.  Evacuated tubes will heat water much better under
extremely cloudy conditions.  They collect some heat during theses
conditions in tubes, however, few BTU's will be transferred to storage.

Evacuated tubes can produce dangerously scalding temperatures in storage
well over 200 degrees F in the summer.  Most flat-plate systems will reach
180 degrees F to 190 degrees F and stop except in extreme desert climates
like Arizona.

Gatortom