Apollo 80 Comments - now OutBack FLEXmax 80 [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Nov 9 18:35:07 PST 2007

The new OutBack MPPT controller is actually called the "FLEXmax 80" and
is rated at 80 amps at up to 40C/104F without any derating.  This is
nearly twice the power handling capability of the previous MX60 which
was 60 amps at 25C and derated to 45 amps at 40C. The maximum input
voltage is still 150 VDC - but it now allows operation up to 145 vdc
which improves the usability in cold locations.

We announced and showed this controller at the Long Beach show and have
had several out in the field for a few months.  The first large
production batch is shipping this month.

The new FM80 is about 2 inches taller than the old MX60 (which is still
available) and it has all new internal circuit boards and completely
revised software also along with a more powerful micro-computer.

The same die-cast front is used together with an additional housing for
the larger fan on top.  This fan housing can be removed with the
controller still on the wall by removing just one screw for examination
/ cleaning / checking / replacement of the fan - which has a plug-in
connector.  We thought that making the fan easy to access was a good
idea since over time even the best fan can/will fail.

The FM80's PV and Battery +/- terminals are larger and more robust than
the previous terminal block and accept up to #2 AWG wire - although
typically only #4 AWG wires should be required.  There is also more wire
bending room in the FM80 for the larger wire size. The mounting holes
and knockouts are in the same locations as on the previous MX60.

The new software does true active, continuous MPPT sweeping now and is
up to 4 times more sensitive than before as to finding the maximum power
point.  This improves the performance with cloudy conditions where the
MPP is changing frequently - giving maybe 1 or 2 percent more power
under these conditions.

This new software also allows full programming and monitoring of the
FM80 from the MATE remote display.  There also is now 128 days of very
detailed logging information available right from the LCD display of the
FM80 - it does not require the MATE to access it. You can see both the
amp-hour and kilowatt-hour production on a daily basis, along with the
min and max battery voltages which occurred for each day.  The logging
also provides the maximum open circuit voltage, maximum output current,
maximum output watts, and the time spent in absorb and float for each
day as well.

Finally, the FM80's shipping box is styro-foam free and made of recycled
& recyclable cardboard.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.